We are not planning consultants but we have sought the assistance of consultants who specialise in this particular area and the following are their comments which we hope you will find helpful.

Cedarlodge Buildings used for Guest Accommodation 

You will not likely require a specific grant of planning permission to install a Cedarlodge to be used for purposes ‘ancillary’ to the main house. This can include use as accommodation for a housekeeper or carer, or a younger family member or as extra accommodation for visiting relatives, friends or senior parents. Please note that use commercially as a wholly separate dwelling or as self-contained holiday let accommodation would require planning permission. 

For such units to be allowed without planning permission; 

  • The siting of the Cedarlodge must be contained within your garden. 
  • The Cedarlodge must meet the legal definition of being a ‘caravan’. The lodges supplied by Cedartree UK meet the tests of being a caravan. 

Incredible as it may seem the Cedarlodge conforms with the definition of a caravan under the Caravan Sites Act 1968.  To do this the lodge must not exceed; 20 metres in length, 6.8 metres in width and have an overall height internally of more than 3.05 metres.  The lodge must also be fit for human habitation and capable of being moved from place to place.  It is an important point out that the lodge does not actually have to be moved and there is no need to demonstrate it is capable of being moved.  It is instead a hypothetical test of mobility and that mobility can just be a few metres within the site and does not have to be movement away from the site.  In addition there is no requirement for the lodge to have wheels. 

However, whilst the siting of the Cedarlodge which meets the definition of a caravan and using it for uses ancillary to the main house, shouldn’t require planning permission the issues involved are ‘matters of fact and degree’ and are legally complicated.  Our advice on such matters would be always to obtain a formal confirmation from the Council that planning permission is not required, by making an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness. Once a Certificate of Lawfulness is issued by the Council, this is definitive and you would have the comfort to purchase and install the timber Cedarlodge.  We can provide further professional planning advice and make an application on your behalf.

Many customers have access problems preventing the Cedarlodge being delivered to site in its completed state.  That is not a problem as the lodge can be supplied in sections and assembled on site without affecting the favourable planning considerations explained above.

Such buildings will nearly always require planning permission. Planning applications will be determined on the basis of the local and national planning policies which apply in the particular location. We recommend that professional planning advice is sought in each of these instances, and we can obtain initial professional advice and arrange the submission of a planning application on your behalf.

We would be happy to address any areas in which we may be able to help, but if you would care to approach our planning advisors, that would be the best course